Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Peace



As I sit here this morning in the tranquility of our home, I am reminded how peaceful life can be. With some planning on my part (setting several alarms, asking my husband to wake me up before he leaves, and going to bed at a decent hour...hey it takes more effort for some people ;) I was able to take advantage of stillness and quiet I sometimes think are non-existent in a house with two young girls, two crazy dogs, and two busy parents.  This "quiet" thing is actually a thing!  I thought my girls singing in the bathroom while peeing at opera sound levels was something that would haunt my ears until forever but guess what...they are ASLEEP and not peeing (hopefully) and it is soundless before the sun comes up.  Who knew??!

Sometimes you have to sneak up on peace and tell it who's boss to make sure you can get your share. As adults, we sometimes feel guilty for taking time out for ourselves to recharge and just be.  STOP THAT!  Guilt needs to shut its ugly face in this case.  We cannot continue to take care of others if we are not properly taken care of first. So be a patriot for some peace in your life by waking up an extra half-hour early or stay up a little past when everyone else is in bed, grab a quiet spot wherever you are to just be: think, pray, meditate, write in your journal, craft, do whatever it is that brings peace to your mind and heart.  Your identity is important and reminding yourself who you are and your thoughts matter could be the difference between a kid getting grounded for having too many Shopkins in the living room (no...that never ever ever ever happens at our house - ok who am I trying to kid, yes it does!) and you being able to use your emotions for what really matters in this world - loving those closest to you, getting stuff done, and brushing off all the crap that comes our way. Find your peace so you can keep on brushing!

Well, I hear the delightful stir of children, so let the opera begin!!

"We must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. We must pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Image from publicdomainpictures.net, by petr kratochvil. Thanks, Petr.


No comments:

Post a Comment